Hit DieThe die type used by characters of the class to determine the number of hit points gained per level.
A player rolls one die of the given type each time his or her character gains a new level. The character's Constitution modifier is applied to the roll. Add the result to the character's hit point total. Even if the result is 0 or lower, the character always gains at least 1 hit point. A 1st-level character gets the maximum hit points rather than rolling (although the Constitution modifier is still applied).
Action PointsThe number of action points gained per level.
Class SkillsThis section of a class description provides a list of class skills and also gives the number of skill points the character starts with at 1st level and the number of skill points gained each level thereafter. A character's Intelligence modifier is applied to determine the total skill points gained each level (but always at least 1 point per level, even for a character with an Intelligence penalty).
A 1st-level character starts with 4 times the number of skill points he or she receives upon attaining each level beyond 1st. The maximum ranks a character can have in a class skill is the character's level +3.
A character can also buy skills from other classes' skill lists. Each skill point buys a half rank in these cross-class skills, and a character can only buy up to half the maximum ranks of a class skill.
Starting FeatsThe feats gained at 1st level in the class.
Class TableThis table details how a character improves as he or she attains higher levels in the class. It includes the following information.
- Level: The character's level in the class.
- Base Attack Bonus: The character's base attack bonus and number of attacks.
- Fort Save: The base save bonus for Fortitude saving throws. The character's Constitution modifier also applies.
- Ref Save: The base save bonus for Reflex saving throws. The character's Dexterity modifier also applies.
- Will Save: The base save bonus for Will saving throws. The character's Wisdom modifier also applies.
- Class Features: Level-dependent class features, each explained in the section that follows.
- Defense Bonus: The character's bonus to Defense. The character's Dexterity modifier and equipment bonus also applies.
- Reputation Bonus: The character's base Reputation bonus.
- Class Features: This entry details special characteristics of the class, including bonus feats and unique talents, that are gained as a character attains higher levels in the class.